Tokyo 2020 to Hold a Series of “One Year to Go to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020” Events
The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020) will host “One Year to Go” ceremony event on Wednesday 24 July 2019 at Tokyo International Forum to mark the one year milestone until the opening of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. At this ceremony, it will unveil the design of the Olympic medals. Prior to this event, Tokyo 2020 plans to hold a press briefing on 23 July, during which it will provide an update on the latest status of preparations for the Games.
The Organising Committee is positioning the four weeks from 13 July to 9 August 2019 as the “One Year to Go” period, and will hold several events in conjunction with the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and its partners during this time. Tokyo 2020 will also hold several test events during this period.
A special website focusing on the “One Year to Go” period has been launched today. See https://tokyo2020.org/en/special/countdown
The Organising Committee will inform further details and the registration procedure in due course. Please save the dates for now for the following media opportunities
One Year to Go Ceremony Event Overview
- Organiser: Tokyo 2020 / Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- Date: Wednesday 24 July Time: 14:00 – 15:30 (TBD)
- Venue: Tokyo International Forum (address: Marunouchi 3-5-1, Chiyoda-ward, Tokyo）
- Contents: Unveiling of the design of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic medals Ceremonial, handing over of Tokyo 2020’s invitation to National Olympic Committee representatives by the IOC, Promotion of the Tokyo 2020 Torch Relay
- Participants: Tokyo 2020 and its stakeholders, including national federations, NOCs
Tokyo 2020 Let’s 55 Event – 1 Year to Go to the Olympic Games Organiser: Tokyo 2020
- Date: Wednesday 24 July Time: 10:00 – 18:00 (TBD)
- Venue: Tokyo International Forum, Plaza and Lobby Gallery (address: Marunouchi 3-5-1, Chiyoda-ward, Tokyo)
- Details: The event will be open to the public. Attendees will be able to try their hand over 15 of the 33 Olympic sports. A number of athletes and the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Mascot Miraitowa will also join the event.
The “Let’s 55 Event – One Year to Go to the Paralympic Games” will be held on 24 August.
Tokyo 2020 Press Briefing
- Organiser: Tokyo 2020 Date: Wednesday 23 July
- Time: TBD Venue: TBD
- Contents: The latest status of Tokyo 2020 preparations
- Speaker: Masa Takaya, Tokyo 2020 Spokesperson
- Language: English
Series of Events
1. Tokyo 2020 Caravan (Organiser: Nippon Life Insurance Company) The “Tokyo 2020 Caravan”, featuring a Tokyo 2020 promotional bus, will travel across through prefectures in the Kanto region – Kanagawa, Saitama, Ibaraki, Chiba and Tokyo – with promotional events being held along its route.
➢ 6 & 7 July 10:00～18:00 Sakuragicho Station, Kanagawa
➢ 20 & 21 July 10:00～18:00 AEON Laketown mori, Saitama
➢ 27 & 28 July 10:00～18:00 AEON Mall Mitouchihara, Ibaraki
➢ 3 & 4 August 10:00～18:00 Mitsui Outlet Park Kisarazu, Chiba
➢ 9–11 August 10:00～18:00 Odaiba, Tokyo
2. Nihonbashi City Decorations for Tokyo 2020 (Organiser: Mitsui Fudosan) Tokyo 2020 street decorations will be displayed along Chuo-Dori street in Nihonbashi from 23 July to 25 August. The organiser, Mitsui Fudosan, will stage a press event on 23 July.
3. “One Year to Go” events in conjunction with its partners Tokyo 2020 will hold various “One Year to Go” events in conjunction with its partners, including sponsors and local governments.
4. “One Year to Go” products will be on sale Tokyo 2020 plans to sell memorial products bearing the “One Year to Go” logo, such as T-shirts, pin badges and 3D crystal items. These will be offered for sale in stages from 11 July at our official shops and via our online store. It will inform the details as soon as they are decided.